Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Can I convert a 909 to a 902?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member SOOTSHE's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 27th, 2006
    Location
    Sunshine Coast, Australia
    Posts
    276
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

    Question Can I convert a 909 to a 902?

    I have 2 Altec HF drivers.....a 902 8A and a 909 8A. Will they be the same if I put the same diaphragms in them?

    The bodies look identical to me, except the 909 has some sort of rubber ring around the circumference.

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Can I convert a 909 to a 902?


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: Can I convert a 909 to a 902?

    I have to admit not being as familiar with 900's...does the 909 have the loading cap?

    If so I would assume the same mods as an 808 needs?

    Just curious...
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Can I convert a 909 to a 902?

    Measure the outlets, I suspect you'll find the 902 to be 7/8", and the 909 a full 1". If so, even if they're equipped the same, they'll be different.
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member SOOTSHE's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 27th, 2006
    Location
    Sunshine Coast, Australia
    Posts
    276
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

    Re: Can I convert a 909 to a 902?

    I measured the outlets & they are both 7/8 inch & they both have the orange tangerine phase plug.
    I found this info.....does this give any clues?

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member SOOTSHE's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 27th, 2006
    Location
    Sunshine Coast, Australia
    Posts
    276
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

    Re: Can I convert a 909 to a 902?

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Guy View Post
    I have to admit not being as familiar with 900's...does the 909 have the loading cap?

    If so I would assume the same mods as an 808 needs?

    Just curious...
    The 909 I have has no loading cap.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Re: Can I convert a 909 to a 902?

    The 909's had Pascalite frams, the 902's didn't.

    ron
    Enjoying Altec Speakers since 1972

  7. #7
    Inactive Member whitebroncoii's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 14th, 2008
    Posts
    208
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Can I convert a 909 to a 902?

    The answer to your question is "yes".

    If your 902-8A looks exactly like your 909-8A, they are both from the same period where the 902, 908, and 909 were all built using the same motor and the only difference was the diaphragm.

    The rubber bumper was installed on drivers sold alone. The drivers used inside of speaker systems did not normally have a rubber bumper and often did not have a back cap (this saved a few manufacturing dollars).

    There were times when drivers were pulled from finished stock and installed in speaker systems. Of course these would be complete assemblies.
    Experience is Knowledge

  8. #8
    Inactive Member robertbartsch's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 21st, 2009
    Posts
    166
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Can I convert a 909 to a 902?

    Yeh, Altec did some weird stuff back then. For example, I'm rebuilding some 846B Valencia cabs whose serial numbers are close. One cab has a bottom square bracket that sits on the floor that is made from one inch plywood and the other is compressed sawdust (MDF).

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Can I convert a 909 to a 902?


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: Can I convert a 909 to a 902?

    Quote Originally Posted by whitebroncoii View Post
    The answer to your question is "yes".

    If your 902-8A looks exactly like your 909-8A, they are both from the same period where the 902, 908, and 909 were all built using the same motor and the only difference was the diaphragm.

    The rubber bumper was installed on drivers sold alone. The drivers used inside of speaker systems did not normally have a rubber bumper and often did not have a back cap (this saved a few manufacturing dollars).
    So the 909 did generally come with a cap then? Am just assuming so because the back cover couldn't be left off without it?
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  10. #10
    Senior Hostboard Member SOOTSHE's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 27th, 2006
    Location
    Sunshine Coast, Australia
    Posts
    276
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

    Smile Re: Can I convert a 909 to a 902?

    Quote Originally Posted by whitebroncoii View Post
    The answer to your question is "yes".

    If your 902-8A looks exactly like your 909-8A, they are both from the same period where the 902, 908, and 909 were all built using the same motor and the only difference was the diaphragm.

    The rubber bumper was installed on drivers sold alone. The drivers used inside of speaker systems did not normally have a rubber bumper and often did not have a back cap (this saved a few manufacturing dollars).

    There were times when drivers were pulled from finished stock and installed in speaker systems. Of course these would be complete assemblies.
    whitebroncoii,
    Thanks for that....saves me having to try to find another 902. Will organise a couple of new diaphragms & I'm ready to go.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.